Central/Hillside Hallway

hillsideIn 1894, Wiley College professor H.B. Pemberton approached Marshall Superintendent C.F. Adams to request the establishment of an organized school for Negro children.

Adams offered Mr. Pemberton the principalship of one of the schools, and Pemberton asked for a school building separate from church connections. There were no public funds for a new building, however, so Pemberton went out and borrowed money on his own note and purchased a dilapidated church building on the present site of the Travis Terrace Building. The note was soon paid with support and contributions from citizens, the land was deeded to the city, and a two-story, four-room brick building was erected in 1895 and named Central School.

Eventually, Central School served students in grades 1-11 and enrollment would grow to exceed 1,000 students. In 1925, a site on Rosborough Springs Road was purchased for a new school to house high school students only. The old Central School property became known as Hillside School. At this time, Mr. J.H. Moore became principal of Hillside School which was reorganized. The school accommodated elementary-aged students as well as sixth- and seventh-grades.

On January 30, 1941, Superintendent E.N. Dennard gave orders for students to vacate Hillside School, and relocate to the new Dunbar Elementary School. The move took place on Friday of the same week without students missing even one day of classes. Shortly afterward, the property began to change hands and all three Hillside buildings were eventually torn down.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.