Stephen F. Austin Hallway

sfaWith the removal of high school grades from the old Marshall University building to the newly built East End School, a new name for an old building appeared in 1905 -- West Houston Avenue School, later to be called West End School.

This old facility, built in 1851, served as West End until it was torn down in 1923 to make way for the wing of Marshall Junior High that now faces West Houston. At that time it moved into the 1911 high school building and remained until it was torn down in 1939.

By 1923, the school was known as Stephen F. Austin. In September 1929, seventh grade students were sent to the Stephen F. Austin building. Since it did not use all of the classrooms, the school board voted to assign seventh graders to the second floor, while reserving the first floor for primary grades and the third floor for upper elementary students.

In 1939, Stephen F. Austin Elementary students moved into a new building farther down West Houston. The school was destroyed by fire in the summer of 1969 and students were transferred to G.W. Carver Elementary, which was renamed Austin-Carver Elementary School. After MISD schools reorganized in 1981, Stephen F. Austin was dropped from the school's name.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.