Van Zandt Hallway

van zandtVan Zandt School was born out of the same 1916 bond issue that produced South Marshall School, only Van Zandt was intended to serve students on the north side of Marshall.

Van Zandt served north Marshall students along with North Marshall School, which eventually was renamed Robert E. Lee Elementary School. Van Zandt School was located on North Grove Street adjacent to the College of Marshall, which would eventually become known as East Texas Baptist College, then East Texas Baptist University.

Van Zandt served its students in north Marshall until 1961, when the boundaries of the Robert E. Lee and Van Zandt school zones were dissolved and students began attending either Lee or J.H. Moore elementaries. For a time, the name of Lee school was changed to Lee-Van Zandt School.

The Van Zandt School was renovated in 1968 for use as administrative offices, and the original part of the building was razed in 1981. The cafeteria addition was later traded to ETBU for land in east Marshall. This addition was eventually converted to serve as ETBU’s Band Hall.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.